Sunday, January 2, 2011

Eco Resolutions

Here is my list of Eco Resolutions, one for every month of the year.

1. January
I will not use any disposable food or drink containers when outside the house (not counting grocery packaging). This includes any snacks, coffee, meals, etc. Bring food/drinks or my own containers.

2.  February
I will significantly reduce hydro - by at least 25% - from the same month last year

3. March
Beginning this month (and continuing until November) I will not use public transit or taxis except in emergencies.

4. April
I will not buy any new products (excluding necessary toiletries and food) this month. I will make what I need/want or buy it used.

5. May
Starting this month and continuing to November I will eat only local produce

6. June
This will be the month of closing waste loops. I will significantly reduce my garbage, including reducing the amount of wasted food (even if it goes into the composter - it's better to eat the food I buy/make/grow!!). I will try to reuse all that I can instead of even putting things in the recycling. I will recycle grey water into my house/balcony plants

7. July
This month one day every week, will be electricity-free (except for my fridge) - including battery operated gadgets (cell phones, MP3 players, DS, laptops, etc). Edited to add that this month I am also going to not use the dryer at all (I am in a building and will have to use my balcony which is what makes it a bit of a challenge) and this is the perfect month to eat all raw.

8. August
This month I will harvest and process my food from the garden and this will continue until November. My goal is to process and save as much as possible and to learn a wide range of processing/preserving skills

9. September
Beginning this month, I will save seeds from every plant that I grow.

10. October
This month I will knit the winter warm things needed for me and my kids - scarves, hats, socks, and mittens.

11. November
I will make all my food from scratch or use only what I previously processed - including salsa, spaghetti sauce, veggie stock, condiments, and the big one - breads. I will also grind my own flour and rolled oats.

12. December
I will aim to make 80% of the gifts/cards I give for Yule.

Skills I hope to learn on this journey: canning, dehydrating, bread baking, sewing, flour grinding, more intricate knitting, some modest building skills, more sophisticated seed saving etc

1 comment:

  1. Great goals Permi Gal! Ambitious, yet very practical and for you, doable!

    Don't forget you'll also have help with swapping, growing and stitching part of things.
    Community rocks!

    knitmediafrenzy

    ReplyDelete