Monday, December 16, 2013

Resolutions, plans, visions

I always make a list of ambitious resolutions for the New Year and I think one of those resolutions this year is going to be not to vow to do anything everyday. I never succeed! But, to vow to do things more  and to focus my energy on certain areas is a great goal. This is all leading up to the obvious confession that I did not write on this blog everyday in November. BUT writing on it more is my goal for 2014.

I especially want to chronicle my permaculture adventures as I try to start a socially, environmentally conscious permi business. I have a few exciting things that will start right away in the new year. One, is that I am taking three courses as part of the University of Guelph's Sustainable Urban Agriculture and Horticulture certificates. I am very excited about doing these. The second is that I am creating a permaculture learning oasis in my backyard and hoping to do more educational workshops and some permi landscaping.

Currently I am working on a business plan and this has me thinking about what exactly it is that I'm trying to create. I want to work with my hands in the dirt and I want to help things grow but more importantly I want to help heal the human/nature relationship. I know real change must happen on a large scale because the destruction and disconnect is happening on a large scale. However, I want to do my part in helping to regenerate the Earth and helping humans to be a positive, healthy part of the natural world. When I attended the Earth Activist Training in January 2010 (almost four years ago?!!) I felt a real calling to work in the service of the Earth. I got a little distracted along the way but I also had some real stumbling blocks. The reality is that we are all only human with lots of complexities in our lives that prevent of us or distract us from fulfilling whatever we think our life's purpose is. I feel very grateful that I am now able to return to this path. I feel more committed than ever to exploring and sharing the ways in which humans can heal the earth, ourselves, and each other.

I know that it is too late for some things - it is too late to reverse the impact of climate change but will we accelerate it or will we try to heal the Earth from the destruction we have already unleashed? It is too late to rid the world of harmful, human-manufactered toxins but will we work to heal the poisoned soil, water, bodies or we will release/create even more toxins? Most of the powers that be - corporations, governments, etc - seem hellbent on accelerating climate change, releasing/creating even more toxins and just basically causing as much destruction as possible in the name of profit (hello, Canadian government - one of the absolute worst culprits!!). However, there are so many wonderful people with brilliant ideas working to create an alternative to this destruction. I want to be part of that in my own, small way. I want to help others to be part of that as well.

It may seem like a pretty over the top goal and I'll word it differently for my business plan. But, yes, I want to change the world because the more of us who say no to destruction in the name of profit, the better. The more of us who realize we can't ignore the destruction or just shop it away, the better. The more of us who join together to envision something different, the better. So, read along as I work on a vision of a human society that allows nature - including humans! - to flourish. And share your visions with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment