Thursday, April 29, 2010

Spring

There has been so much going on that I should/could have blogged about but, because there has been a lot happening, I have been very busy! Spring is such an exciting time and there is so much happening related to growing food in the city. I have done a bunch of workshops with kids on gardening - mainly learning about worm composting and making seed balls. I had a lovely community Earth Day party and my thesis is coming along nicely (transcribing interviews is actually helping my writing because it is taking me back to the garden and the gardeners who I am so fond of).

The thing I am most excited about in this moment is that my community garden plot is ready to use. I have been waiting for it to be plowed (not my choice and a topic for another day). Tomorrow, the earthkids and I will be heading down to our plot, spreading manure, laying out the design, and planting some seeds. YAY!

May 1 (Saturday) is May Day. It is both a fertility celebration with ancient roots in Europe, the Middle East, and Central America AND an international day to celebrate and acknowledge the struggles of working people for rights and freedom. That makes it an especially sacred day to me and my kids. What a perfect weekend for planting seeds!

No comments:

Post a Comment